Monday, March 4, 2013

Judgement

As I was shaving my legs in the shower this morning (a nasty business, I cut my leg) I pondered something of a spiritual nature.

That hasn't happened in a while, so I was pleasantly surprised & immediately boarded the train of thought.

The subject of the hour was judgment

& how we shouldn't do it.

If there's one thing I learned in the past year, it's to not pass judgment.

Because I have been on the receiving end.

 People looked at me, shook their heads, and judged.

They assumed they knew me. They assumed they knew my situation.

But they didn't know a damn thing.

And that, my friends, is the key.

From the outside looking in, you will absolutely never have the clarity to understand fully. You just won't. So you have no right to judge, simple as that.

You can't feel what another person feels, you can't hurt their hurt, or cry their tears, you can't love their love, or experience their same joy, because it's theirs. You can't think their thoughts, or know the deliberation behind each and every choice, because they are not your thoughts, not your choices.

You cannot understand, therefore you cannot righteously judge.

But, there is One.

One who can understand. One who felt our every pain, our every struggle, our everything. One who knows us exactly.

Jesus Christ

And yet, the only person who has the right. The only person who has the ability to.

He does not.

Instead of casting judgement, he extends mercy.

To the lowest of the low.

He doesn't command us to hate the sinner, but to love our neighbor.

Jesus Christ perfectly understands our every fault, but in the face of our most shameful sin he does not throw a stone, but opens his arms with compassion.

It's really remarkable to me.

If Jesus Christ, a perfect being, who is the only one capable of passing righteous judgement shows love and compassion instead, why can't we do the same?

We may not be able to feel the exact emotions of someone else, or experience their triumphs and struggles exactly, but we can mourn with those that mourn and comfort those who stand in need of comfort. We can love.

Love is what your neighbors need, not judgment.

So take note & follow the example of your Savior.

And that concludes Monday's shower/pondering session!

No comments: