Thursday, May 23, 2013

Excuse Me Miss

Today I was walking home from my science class. It's about global climate change- if you were wondering.

And I came to my usual short cut, a pathway through a men's apartment complex that saves me a good 5 minutes of walking. At Mormon college boys and girls don't live in the same complex unless they're married- if you were wondering.

There's typically a lot of students on this path because, like I said it's a really convenient shortcut. But today there was not. There was one boy kind of hanging out his door and one couple setting off on a tandom bike. I did not make that up- if you were wondering.

So then it was just me walking and this boy hanging. I didn't make eye contact because that's awkward- if you were wondering.

I was just passing him when loudly and in a drawl I hear,

"Excuse me Miss"

And expecting something really uncomfortable or inappropriate to follow I hesitantly answered,

"Yeah"

I half turn my head to look at him, all the while quickly walking away.

"You're beautiful." He said simply.

And I was so pleasantly surprised by that.

"Thank you!" I said with a smile and went on my way.

Being told you're beautiful is so nice. Especially when you anticipate something like "nice rack" or whatever other vulgar things men shout- if you were wondering.