Tuesday, March 4, 2014

Pinterst Success

I've had plenty of "pinterest fails", as I know many have. There are blogs dedicated to such botches, but I've also had successes! Mostly, they are recipes because I haven't crafted much lately. But I have one craft from a while back.

1. Soda Can Lanterns


The website the pin linked to doesn't seem to be working anymore, but the picture makes it pretty clear. I tried using an exacto knife, but a regular kitchen knife worked better. I used a sharpie to make lines about 1/2 an inch apart and then cut along them.  Then I spray painted them!

I advise washing out the cans a day before you plan to cut, so you can get the soda out and the water has time to dry/drip out too. I also advise painting the cans with primer before you spray paint them. I didn't and some parts of the can's design showed through the spray paint. The spray paint also has chipped off over the last few months and I think the primer would help prevent that. Or of course, you could paint them with a sealing coat.

I was planning on using them as decorations for our wedding, but I realized they wouldn't travel well (because of the chipping paint). So I kept them and use them as decorations throughout our apartment.

2. Vegetable Cheese Soup

This recipe is perfect for leftover vegetables from other recipes. The first time I made this Bjorn and I had celery I didn't know how I was going to use and carrots that were losing their crunch. So this turned out to be the perfect way to use them up!

The first time I made it I added a LOT more celery than the recipe called for because I like celery and like I said, had a bunch leftover I wanted to use before they went bad. I also added cauliflower to the mix because I needed to use it up as well.

That's what is so great about this soup- you can really add whatever vegetables you want in the amount you want and it will turn out great.

We liked it so much we made it the next week and doubled the recipe so we would have leftovers for lunches! A word to the wise though- if you're going to double the recipe make sure you have a pot big enough! We almost ran out of room.

3. Roasted Red Pepper Alfredo

Photo from Damndelicious.net

We made this one last night! It was so delicious! I wanted to kind of free-ball it, but Bjorn is very particular about following recipes, so we followed it exactly. I have to say doing it that way is kind of expensive, but it was really good- so worth it?

Anyway Bjorn thought it would also be good to add chicken to the recipe, so that's the only suggestion I have about this one. Except if you're planning to feed more than two or three people I would probably double the recipe.

4. French Macaroons


My cousin Brittany and I made Macaroons for my birthday two weeks ago. I was so glad that they turned out! I've heard they're very difficult to make, but there's a very helpful video if you follow the above link. I didn't add food coloring to mine which is why they're white.

I'm not sure if you can tell from the picture, but my "little hamburgers" turned out to be rather large! When I put the dough in a bag to pipe out, it was a freezer bag that was different on the bottom than a normal zip lock bag, so when I cut the corner of the bag it made two holes. I didn't want to waste any of it, so I just kept going with that bag and a lot more dough came out per macaroon than I intended.

Other than that though, they turned out great!

5. Roasted Carrots

Photo from Nomnompaleo.com

 These carrots are a great side for so many meals! They are yummy and easy to make. The only annoying part is peeling the carrots, but that's life! Bjorn and I bought some garlic olive oil and it's been great to have!

When it comes to flipping the carrots I try to get them all, but I don't worry to much about it and in my experience it's never taken a full 45 minutes. 











No comments: